Rio Rancho High School Diploma Requirements:
| Rio Rancho Public Schools Standard Diploma– requires completion of 26 credits
|-4 English credits – English 9, 10, 11, 12
|-4 Social Studies credits – 0.5 NM History, 0.5 World Geography, 1.0 World History, 1.0 US History, 0.5 Economics, 0.5 Government
|-4 Science credits – Must include two of the following (from 2 of the 3 different disciplines): Chemistry or Chemistry in the Community, Biology, or Physics, as well as two additional science electives.
|-4 Math credits - including Algebra II (its equivalent or higher)
|-1 World Languages or Career Cluster or Workplace Readiness credit
|-1 Physical Education credit
|-0.5 Health Credit
|-0.5 Technology credit
|-0.5 Fine Arts credit
|-6.5 Elective credits
|-Students must take one high school credit of a distance learning, OR AP (Advanced Placement), OR dual enrollment college class
-Demonstrate competency in all 5 subject areas of reading, math, science, writing, and social studies. For reading, writing, math, and science, students must take at least two administrations of the PARCC graduation assessments and SBA Science before using an ADC. Students who complete credit requirements but do not meet assessment requirements are eligible for a Certificate of Completion.
If you are in need of credit recovery, please talk to your counselor about evening credit recovery offered at Secondary Learning Center or Summer School.
Diploma of Distinction Requirements:
Rio Rancho Public Schools Diploma of Distinction Program is an initiative that encourages students to take challenging courses while in high school. This course of study gives students the foundation they need to succeed in a technical school, community college, university, the military, or industry. In order to be recognized with a Diploma of Distinction, students need to meet the requirements listed below:
Rio Rancho Public Schools Diploma of Distinction requires completion of 28 credits with no grade lower than a C. Weighted course letter grades will not be adjusted.
• 4 *English credits – English 9, 10, 11, 12
• 4 *Social Studies credits – NM History/Geography, World History, US History, Economics/Government
• 4 *Science credits – Must include: Earth & Space/Conceptual Physics**; two of the following: Chemistry, Biology, or Physics: as well as one additional science elective.
• 4 *Math credits – Must include Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, and Trigonometry equivalent or higher. (Financial Algebra, or Everyday Stats does not qualify)
• 2 World Language credits in the same language
• 1 Physical Education credit
• 0.5 Health
• 0.5 Technology credit
• 0.5 Fine Arts credit
• 7.5 elective credits
• Students must have a 3.0 GPA at the end of semester 7 (the fall semester of the senior year)
• Students must take two credits of AP (Advanced Placement) courses.
*AP (Advanced Placement) or Pre-AP courses may be substituted for standard level courses (i.e., AP English 12 may be substituted for English 12).
**An alternate 9th grade science course may be substituted for incoming transfer students.
Bilingual-Biliteracy Diploma Seal:
- Meet all NM PED and RRPS graduation requirements
- Earn 4 units of credit on transcript in the same language with a C or better (may be from other institutions and may include a Dual Credit experience to get the 4th credit)
- Earn a score of 3 or higher on one of the following AP exams: Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Spanish Language, Spanish Literature – in addition, students will be encouraged by their Language teacher to take the STAMP or AAPPL exam and earn an Intermediate High or higher on either of those exams.
- Counselors, Aps, and language teachers will work collaboratively to identify students who meet the requirements of the Seal.
- Seniors who qualify with AP scores will get seal on diploma.
- 8th grade Spanish 1 does not earn a credit, therefore that course is not a part of the 4 credits required.
- Language teachers and administration at school site will be in charge of administering STAMP or AAPPL tests. Students will pay for exam.